This is about protecting personal data
- visit our website;
- register for our newsletter, trainings, updates or events;
- give us your contact details; or
- correspond with us.
The processing of information relating to identified or identifiable natural persons (“personal data”) collected through this website or otherwise received by PEMA, such as through e-mails, fax, correspondence or registration forms, is subject to EU Regulation 2016/679 (the General Data Protection Regulation) and any national implementing or complementing rules and regulations in Belgium, where our central administration is located. The Belgian Data Protection Authority supervises compliance with the applicable data protection laws.
What information is collected about you and how does PEMA use it?
We take the utmost care to ensure that the personal information we obtain from you is not used in a way that you may be unaware of or not agreeable to.
PEMA may collect and process information of persons who contact us (including job applicants) or register for our newsletters, trainings, updates and events, through the website, e-mail or internet-based services. This information may include: the contact details and other information on business cards, CVs and in electronic signatures, IP addresses, e-mail addresses, passwords and information provided by the person registering for the event and/or the newsletter, and whether you have read the newsletter.
For instance, you may wish to submit an information request about PEMA to enquire about membership or request more information on PEMA. In response, we may ask for information such as your name, email address, company etc. If you opt to provide us with this information, we will only use it for the purpose specified.
In addition, PEMA may, through its website, collect certain information relating to users who visit its website and may, solely for internal purposes, track how users make use of its website. The information collected through the website includes the Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, computer and connection information such as browser type and version, operating system, as well as Uniform Resource Locators (URL) click stream to, through, and from our website, including date and time. Information collected on the PEMA website (“Site”) may be used to:
- Communicate about your membership
- Send information in relation to upcoming events and meetings
- Respond to your questions or suggestions
- To create a Membership registrar
- Other communications as deemed necessary by the Board
In some cases, your information may be complemented or updated with publicly available information to ensure your contact details and professional information is up to date.
We do not sell, rent or share any of your personal information with any other party including any third-party joint promoters, nor use it for unapproved commercial purposes.
Why do we use your data?
Your personal data are only used to the extent that this is required to pursue the following legitimate interests:
- to ensure the security of the website;
- to improve the website’s content and compile statistics on the use of the website;
- public relations, including the promotion and defence of interests of PEMA, its members and the industry;
- to ensure legal compliance, investigate fraud or infringements and establish, defend or exercise legal claims; and/or
- to maintain a contact database of our members and external contacts.
If requested by you, or with your consent, we may also use your personal data (consent may be assumed for existing members):
- to process your queries efficiently;
- to contact you for the purpose of providing information on our sector and our activities and developments (including the sending of newsletters, trainings, updates and organising events); and/or
- to process your job application.
If you have consented to such processing of your personal data, you have the right to withdraw such consent at any time. Please see below for how to withdraw your consent.
Protecting your information
We would like our Site visitors to feel confident about using the Site and discovering PEMA its purpose and how to join. PEMA is committed to protecting the information we collect. PEMA has implemented a security program to keep information that is stored in our systems protected from unauthorized access. Our Site is hosted in a secure environment. The Site servers/systems are configured with data encryption, or scrambling, technologies, and industry-standard firewalls. When you enter personal information during and email sign-up, your data is protected by Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology to ensure safe transmission.
Links provided to other sites
PEMA may provide links to a number of other web sites that we believe might offer you useful information about PEMA and our members. However, those sites may not follow the same privacy policies as PEMA. Therefore, we are not responsible for the privacy policies or the actions of any third parties, including without limitation, any web site owners whose sites may be reached through this Site, nor can we control the activities of those web sites. We urge you to contact the relevant parties controlling these sites or accessing their on-line policies for the relevant information about their data collection practices before submitting any personal information or other sensitive data.
What are the different types of cookies? There are several categories of cookies:
Strictly necessary cookies: these cookies are essential in order to browse some websites and use all of their features (the user’s operating system support, display etc.). Without these cookies, features such as the display will not have optimum functionality. Note: these cookies collect purely technical data and do not identify you personally.
Performance cookies: these cookies help us improve a user’s experience by helping us understand how they use our websites (most frequently visited pages, applications used etc.). These cookies do not identify you individually.
Functionality cookies: in order to make browsing easier, these cookies store certain user preferences (language, username, country etc.).
Targeting/advertising cookies: these cookies enable a user to receive targeted advertisements based on their interests, but they also limit the number of times that the advertisements appear.
Affiliate cookies: these cookies enable third parties (“affiliates”) that publish marketing campaigns on their websites to be paid on behalf of the “web merchant”.
Cookies from social networks: these third-party Cookies let you communicate the content of our site to others, as well as your opinion in relation to our site. This is the case with the “Share” and “Like” buttons on “Facebook,” “Twitter,” “LinkedIn,” “Video,” etc.
Social networks which offer these application buttons can identify you by these buttons, even if you did not click on one of them when you visited our site. Indeed, some Cookies allow the social network concerned to follow your navigation on our site whenever your social network account is activated on your device when at the same time, you are on our site.
We have no control over the procedures social networks use to collect information about your navigation on our site. Please read these social networks privacy policies regarding personal data. These should allow you to exercise certain privacy options with these social networks, in particular by adjusting your user accounts for each of these networks.
- Adapt the layout of our websites to suit your device’s display preferences (language, display resolution, operating system used etc.).
- Store some of the information that you fill in on our online forms to assist with membership.
- Collect statistics. These relate mainly to the number of times you visit our websites and your use of the different pages on our website (sections and content viewed, links), with the aim of improving their relevance and usability.
- Put security measures in place (for example asking you to reconnect to a page or service after a certain amount of time has elapsed).
- Offer you, through advertisements, personalized content that is likely to be of interest to you.
- Important: Advertisements or links to third-party websites may be included on our websites. Your personal details may be collected by third parties when you click on these links. This policy does not cover visits to third-party websites. PEMA cannot be held responsible for the policy of third-parties regarding personal details and the use thereof.
How can you manage/access/delete your data?
You have the right to access your data, have us update outdated information or correct any errors in your data or, if necessary, delete such data or request that we restrict the use thereof. You also have the right to opt out of receiving newsletters or marketing materials from PEMA. With each newsletter, you will have the possibility of unsubscribing or updating your information and preferences.
In addition, you can exercise your rights by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that we may ask for additional information to ascertain your identity before we comply with your request. If we cannot remedy your concern, you can contact the Belgian Data Protection Authority with questions or concerns relating to the protection of your personal data.
How long do we keep your data?
Data about your browsing our website will be kept only for the duration of the session. However, cookies may last longer on your device so we can identify you upon your next visit (see above).
Registrations for events or newsletters will be kept until after the event or until you unsubscribe from our newsletters.
Other personal data that we have will be retained for the duration that is relevant for the purpose as set out above, in accordance to internal retention periods, taking into account contractual or legal obligations and liability that we may have to keep records of our files.
Policy modifications and contacting PEMA